Jackson Walker, as part of the newly formed Pre-Law Founding Circle, announced a partnership with PracticePro to award at least eight Pre-Law Diversity Scholarships for underrepresented college students and graduates seeking legal careers. Applications are currently being accepted, and scholarship recipients will be announced in April.
PracticePro is a legal education startup committed to improving the legal profession by training attorneys who are better prepared for law practice. With the creation of the Pre-Law Diversity Scholarship, PracticePro and Jackson Walker aim to cultivate the diverse legal talent pipeline as early as possible by helping underrepresented college students and graduates get into law school and understand the fundamentals of navigating legal careers.
“Last year, we helped launch the Pre-Law Diversity Scholarship and are committed to continuing to provide opportunities for underrepresented students,” said Jackson Walker partner Suzan Kedron, who chairs the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee. “We are tremendously proud of the strides we are making to expand diversity in legal education and to promote an atmosphere of inclusion that will enable students to access the tools they need to be successful.”
“We are tremendously proud of the strides we are making to expand diversity in legal education and to promote an atmosphere of inclusion that will enable students to access the tools they need to be successful.”
Jonathan Neerman, chair of Jackson Walker’s Firmwide Hiring Partner, added, “Promoting diversity must include implementing opportunities for underrepresented students and creating an open, equal, and inclusive environment in which every student has the opportunity to flourish. At Jackson Walker, we believe that diversity strengthens and directly contributes to our business success, helping foster respect and better communication across all backgrounds.”
Scholarship recipients will receive:
- Admissions coaching, which includes aid with application strategy, personal statements, legal resume drafting, scholarship negotiation.
- Career coaching, which includes an introduction to the legal industry and legal recruiting frameworks, and preparation for 1L summer legal internship opportunities.
- Mentorship from Founding Circle firms and companies.
- An LSAT stipend.
- Application fee reimbursement.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be:
- A junior or senior in college or graduated undergraduate in the last two years, applying for admission to law school Class of 2027 or 2028.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.2.
- A member of a racial, ethnic, gender, or socioeconomic group which has been historically underrepresented in the legal profession, a member of the LGBTQ+ community, or those with a disability.
An information session will be held by PracticePro and the Founding Circle on March 10, 2023. To learn more about the scholarship program, visit the PracticePro website. The deadline to submit a completed application is Friday, March 31, 2023.
Founded more than 130 years ago, Jackson Walker helps businesses of all sizes navigate the increasingly complex legal landscape. With more than 450 attorneys across seven Texas-based offices, the Firm represents Fortune 500 companies, multinational corporations, major financial institutions, insurance companies, and a wide range of public companies and private businesses around the globe. The Firm is ranked nationally in 25 practice areas in the U.S. News’ “Best Law Firms” rankings and has 16 Chambers-ranked practices.
To explore the Firm’s commitment to creating a more inclusive environment for all, visit our Diversity & Inclusion page or view our Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter.